Friday, August 17, 2007

Catch Me at the Border, I Got Visas in my Name

I fly like paper get high like planes....


I was a fan of M.I.A. when she first emerged in '05, and I enjoyed Arular very much. When I first put it on, it was like nothing I had ever heard, a soundclash reminiscent of Breakbeat Era having BSDM sex with Punjabi MC. I was enthralled.

My interest waned after her style got co-opted, and suddenly every hipster chick in LA was a neon-colored electro-spittin' passport-flossing pseudo-revolutionary.

J no play with trends, so I kindly stepped to the side and let others feast on the carcass that was Miss Arulpragasam's popularity at the moment.

A couple years have passed, and many of the same style-bitin' hipsters have now hopped onto other trends, be they retro plastic shades, shiny Lycra leggings, or Chromeo.

M.I.A., meanwhile, has been traveling the globe, constructing Kala with a host of otherwise undiscoverable musicians, and "stepping the game up", as many artists talk about, but never do.

I don't get too excited about whole albums these days, but this one has got me open. "Paper Planes" has been on steady rotation with me for a week now, and I plan on copping the rest of the album when it hits retailers on Tuesday (08.20.07)

Yes, whole bootlegs are out there, but this project should be supported with currency of some sort. As an artist who strives to do ART, and not commerce, I fully support Kala, and officially add it to my Albums That Must Be Heard or You Are Not Cool list.

No comments: